Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson


Here is a synopsis from Amazon.com:

"Ever hear of Zeus? Michelangelo? Attila the Hun? According to 14-year-old Molly Aster they all derived their powers from starstuff that occasionally falls to Earth from the heavens. On Earth, it is the Starcatchers' job to rush to the scene and collect the starstuff before it falls into the hands of the Others who use its myriad powers for evil.

On board the ship Never Land, an orange-haired boy named Peter, the leader of a group of orphaned boys being sent off to work as servants in King Zarboff the Third's court, is puzzled by his shipmate Molly's fantastical story of starstuff, but it inextricably binds him to her. Peter vows to help his new, very pretty friend Molly (a Starcatcher's apprentice) keep a mysterious trunk full of the stuff out of the clutches of the pirate Black Stache, a host of other interested parties, and ultimately King Zarboff the Third."

This book is very cute! I love how it's a prequel to the Disney movie. It was obvioulsy written for a younger audience, but it made it very easy to read. Life has been pretty crazy lately, so I needed to read something that would be quick and easy. I love how the story explains how the orphan, Peter, went from being a "normal" boy, to the flying and forever young Peter Pan. I can't wait to read the other books in this series. I hope they're as good as this first one.

4 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though they may be good stories, this series cannot really be considered prequels to Barrie's Peter Pan. They contradict many facts of his original stories. In fact, ALL of the prequels and sequels out there do. Except one. It's coming soon and it not only doesn't contradict Barrie, it's based on his idea for more Pan adventure! Click on my name of the annoucnement page.
BELIEVE!

Katie said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I figured that this series didn't follow the original Barrie version of Peter Pan, but I didn't read it because I wanted it to be true to the original. I knew that it was supposed to be a prequel to the actual Disney movie of Peter Pan. The book even has the Disney logo in it. I will definitely take a look at Peter Pan's Neverworld, though; it sounds great! Thanks for the info!

Ink Mage said...

Personally, I didn't find the second two books in this series as good as the first. But I did like this one. :-) Did you know a movie based on Peter and the Starcatchers is being made?

Katie said...

That's disappointing that the other books aren't as good. I hate to not finish a series, though, so I'll probably still read them. I didn't know about the movie! That's great! I'll have to go take a look at IMDB now... :-)