Thursday, June 19, 2008

Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman


Once Upon a Time in the North is about the aeronaut, Lee Scoresby, when he is about 24 years old. He has just won his balloon in a poker game and is flying from city to city looking for work and adventure. He lands in Novy Odense and meets some very interesting characters there, including talking bears! He decides to help a ship captain with a customs dispute and mayhem ensues.

This book is very cute. I read it in about an hour and a half as it's only 95 pages long. It's not part of the His Dark Materials trilogy, but it has some of the same characters. It takes place 35 years or so before The Golden Compass. I really enjoyed reading about Lee Scoresby when he was young. He's my favorite character from The Golden Compass, so I definitely found this book interesting. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked His Dark Materials. I haven't read Lyra's Oxford yet, but I'd like to. It's similar to this book in that they are both about some of the same characters from the trilogy but are not actually part of the trilogy themselves. Anyway, Once Upon a Time in the North was a very quick, easy read, and very enjoyable.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments: