Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld


This is a sequel to Peeps, so you may not want to read this review if you haven't read the first book.

Moz (short for mosquito) is confused yet excited when he sees a woman throwing all of her belongings out of her window including a "mid-seventies Fender Stratocaster with gold pickups." He, with the help of a girl named Pearl, catches the guitar and they run away with it. Pearl; Moz; Moz's friend, Zahler; Pearl's friend, Minerva; and a girl who plays the "drums" (paint buckets) on the street decide to start a band. They can tell that New York City is deteriorating around them as the disease spreads, but all they care about is signing a record deal and getting famous. Somehow, their music is causing strange things to happen and is more important than they all originally thought.

The Last Days starts out very slow. I did not realize that it is about completely different people. I figured it would start out continuing the story of Cal and Lace. I was disappointed. The book was OK, but I liked Peeps better. I have to say that the second half of The Last Days is much better than the first. It eventually got to the point where I really wanted to finish the book to see what would happen. I'm definitely taking a Scott Westerfeld break. The books I've read recently by him just haven't been all that great.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: