Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


It took me so long to read Wuthering Heights! It's only just over 300 pages and I think it took me longer to read this book than The Pillars of the Earth, which is over 900 pages! I guess it's the language.

Mr. Lockwood moves into a property called Thrushcross Grange. He visits his landlord, Mr. Heathcliff, who lives in a property called Wuthering Heights. He discovers that Heathcliff is a very odd, rude man and decides to ask the housekeeper at Thrushcross Grange, Nelly, about him. Nelly begins a very long story about Heathcliff's life and the people he hurt along the way.

This book was so depressing! Heathcliff is so mean to everyone in his life including the woman he loves! It was interesting that the book was in Mr. Lockwood's perspective until Nelly is telling her story but then goes back to Mr. Lockwood's perspective near the end. It was very difficult to concentrate on this book because of the language and it just wasn't that interesting. I'm glad I read it, though, since it's a classic. Wuthering Heights is one of the books in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, so I have now read 24 of them! Time for a nice easy young adult book next!

2 out of 5 stars (because of the depressing nature of the book and the fact that it wasn't capturing my attention)

No comments: