Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Don't read this review if you haven't read the other books in this series, as it may contain spoilers!

Brisingr is the third book in the Inheritance Cycle. It continues the story of Eragon, a dragon rider, and his dragon, Saphira, and their quest to destroy the evil King Galbatorix.

Here is a description from Amazon:

"Following the colossal battle against the Empire’s warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still there is more at hand for the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep.

First is Eragon’s oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran’s beloved, Katrina, from King Galbatorix’s clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength—as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices— choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice.

Eragon is the greatest hope to rid the land of tyranny. Can this once-simple farm boy unite the rebel forces and defeat the king?"
I reread Eragon and Eldest before I started Brisingr, and I'm glad I did. I didn't remember the first two books at all. I think that Brisingr is written better than the first two. You can tell that Paolini was young when he began. His writing is definitely improving. I still find Eragon to be a bit whiney, although not as bad as he was in Eldest. I think Roran is a better character and would make a better rider, but that's just my opinion. I thought the "revelation" at the end about Eragon's family was a little odd. I'm not surprised, but I was a little disappointed. It kind of reminded me of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. I was just thinking, "O...kay... weird." Also, I don't think Christopher Paolini is very knowledgeable when it comes to pregnancy. The timelines just don't add up. I think Elaine has been pregnant for a year and a half now... It doesn't sound like it, but I did actually enjoy this book. I thought it was better than the first two, but it's not Twilight or Harry Potter.

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: