Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark is the first book in the Southern Vampire Mysteries series by Charlaine Harris.

Sookie Stackhouse is a quiet girl who works as a waitress in her hometown, Bon Temps, Louisiana. She mainly keeps to herself because of her "disability" - she can read minds. Sookie is thrilled when a vampire, Bill, comes in to the bar where she works. She wanted to meet a vampire ever since they had come "out of the coffin." She is even more excited when she realizes that she can't read Bill's mind. The silence is heavenly! She soon develops feelings for Bill, but when girls around town start dying, she's not sure what to think...

I saw the first two episodes of True Blood on HBO before I realized that it was based on this series. I have yet to watch the rest of the episodes (I'm waiting to see them on DVD) but now I can't wait to see them! I enjoyed this book a lot. It was cute and not too predictable (at least I didn't think so). Bill seems pretty sweet, kind of like Edward from Twilight. From what I saw of the TV show, it didn't look like they were following the book very well. Maybe I'm just not remembering it correctly. Anyway, I really liked all of the characters in this book; I thought they were pretty interesting. I will definitely be reading the rest of the books in the series.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: