Monday, January 14, 2008

First Impressions - Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I just started Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, and I'm about 100 pages into it. My first impressions are that it is an easy and interesting read. It is about a girl named Tally who is "ugly". She can't wait to turn sixteen so that she can have a surgery to make her "pretty". Her friend, Peris, has already had the surgery and moved from Uglyville to New Pretty Town. It is a constant party in New Pretty Town. There are no rules, and everyone is beautiful. Tally meets a girl who is also an Ugly named Shay. Shay doesn't want to have the surgery to become pretty, though, so she runs away. This is as far as I've gotten in the book so far. I definitely want to continue reading. It is a fast read and fairly amusing. I think Scott Westerfeld is definitely making a statement about our society and the way it is going. I will review the entire book after I finish it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books! It's a great series, and Scott's an amazing author.