Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


A Thousand Splendid Suns is about two women, from two generations, living in Afghanistan. The book begins with the story of Mariam, a young girl who is forced to marry a 40-year-old man when she is 15. She moves with him to the city of Kabul where she doesn't know anyone. He becomes violent when Mariam is unable to have a child. Many years later Mariam's husband takes another wife, Laila, who's parents were killed in an explosion. Mariam and Laila must band together to survive their husband's brutal beatings and protect the children.

This is a very emotional and difficult book to read, but it's worth it. It definitely made me appreciate my life even more. I read the book in one day because I couldn't put it down. This book affected me so much I had dreams about it! I will read Hosseini's other book, The Kite Runner, eventually, but I will definitely read something less sad before then. I'll probably read The Spiderwick Chronicles next.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments: