Monday, March 3, 2008

Midnighters: The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld


The Secret Hour is the first book in Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters series. When Jessica Day moves to Bixby, Oklahoma, she expects to feel like an outsider because she is new; but, when she meets Rex, Melissa, and Dess she realizes just how much of an outsider she really is. Rex, Melissa and Dess are Midnighters. They do not freeze like everyone else in the "secret hour", the twenty-fifth hour in the day that occurs at midnight, they explore it and even have special powers during this hour. Jessica learns that she is one of them and she's special. The darklings, creatures that live in the secret hour, have a deadly interest in Jessica and no one can figure out why.

I've been reading a lot of Scott Westerfeld books ever since I discovered the Uglies trilogy. I thought that this book was OK. It definitely is not as good as Uglies, but it's an interesting story. It's a very short, easy read. I feel like I should stop reading Scott Westerfeld's books because they are all slightly disappointing compared to the Uglies trilogy, but I already have Peeps from the library so I'll be reading that fairly soon, if not next.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments: