Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I can't believe I had never read this book before. I decided to read it for the Summer Book Challenge. Here's a description from Amazon:

"Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature."

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was similar to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. In both books society is controlled through pleasure. As long as everyone is happy and entertained, the government can get them to do whatever they want. I found it particularly frightening that the government didn't just take books away suddenly, but most people just stopped reading altogether. I couldn't imagine not reading. It's my favorite hobby of all time. I'm always in the middle of a book. I brought 4 books on my week long vacation. I probably won't get to all of them, but I like to have my options. Anyway, I really liked Fahrenheit 451, and I think everyone should read it.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments: