Thursday, July 9, 2009

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Don't read this review if you haven't read the first book in this series, as it may contain spoilers!

Second Helpings is the second (duh!) book in Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series. Here's a description from Goodreads:

"Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household."

This book was as good as, if not better than, Sloppy Firsts. I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to read the third book. I still love Jessica's snarkiness and attitude. I definitely would not allow my kids to read this book unless they were well past their sixteenth birthday. I don't remember young adult books having so much sex in them when I was younger. (Wow, I feel so old having said that.) I still love this series even with all of the references to sex. I'm well past my sixteenth birthday! ;-) Anyway, this book also counts for the Summer Book Challenge.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments: