Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan

Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare is the first book in The Saga of Darren Shan. Here is a description from Amazon:
When Cirque Du Freak comes to town, Darren and his friends are obsessed with seeing the acts, which include a performing spider; spiders are a particular fascination of Darren's. It is a marvelously creepy show that lives up to their expectations. After the show, Darren's rowdy pal, Steve, stays behind and confronts the man with the spider--who turns out to be a vampire. Hidden in the shadows, Darren listens, horrified, as Steve begs Mr. Crepsley to make him a vampire, too. Steve's request is denied, but through a series of mishaps, Darren becomes the vampire.
I decided to read this book after I saw the trailer for the Cirque Du Freak movie. I didn't know much about the book before I read it. I thought it was a bit young for being considered young adult. I would say it's geared more toward a younger audience (think The Series of Unfortunate Events and The Spiderwick Chronicles) than other young adult books I've read. It's a little odd that the author writes it like it is actually about himself. I kept trying to figure out how old Darren is supposed to be, but the book never really says. I'm guessing he's supposed to be about 12.

I already own the next two books, so I plan on reading them. I really want to see the movie when it comes out, although I may wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm using this for the "read a book by an author born in July, August or September" category for the Summer Book Challenge. Darren Shan was born on July 2nd. Overall, I thought this book was pretty good.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments: