Monday, August 31, 2009

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L.J. Smith

The Awakening is the first book in the Vampire Diaries series by L.J. Smith. Here is a synopsis from Amazon:

"Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.

Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her."

I was on the holds list for this book at my local library, but it was taking a long time so I decided to buy the book. I'm kind of regretting that now. I should have just waited for it. I'm pretty disappointed in this book, and it's only the first one! I can't stand Elena. She's just like all of the girls I hated when I was in school. She thinks the world revolves around her and everyone does everything she says. It's ridiculous! I don't understand why she's so obsessed with Stefan when she knows nothing about him. Also, she's "in love" after a week of being together?!

I didn't like that the author tried to keep Stefan so mysterious to the reader. Lots of "...but I can't think about that right now." It got to be really annoying. I thought the story was extremely anti-climactic. The whole thing with Katharine was laughable not sad and heartbreaking like it was meant to be. I guess I'll probably end up reading the next book since it's in the same volume that I bought. I had high hopes for this book, but now I'm just so disappointed. I'm using this for the "teens as the main characters" category for the Summer Book Challenge.

2 out of 5 stars

No comments: