Monday, August 31, 2009

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about books for children…

Do you buy books as gifts for children – either your own or those of friends or family? Would you buy books for all children, or only children who are already practiced readers?

I have never actually given books as a gift to children, but I would like to. The main reason I haven't is that I never know which books the child already owns. I hate giving someone a gift they already have. I don't have any children yet, but I've already begun a collection of books for children on my bookshelf. I hope my children will love to read as much as I do.

I would give books to any children even if they can't read yet. Although, if I know that an older child really doesn't like to read, I won't give them a book. There's no point in giving them something they won't enjoy. It's impossible to force a kid to like to read.

3 comments:

caite said...

I agree it is ideal to give a book about a subject the child has an interest in, but I still thing it is possible to just give a more general, very nice book that they should enjoy.

I try to take every chance to encourage reading, especially in children, It is a gift that last a lifetime, the love of reading.

Anonymous said...

For practiced readers, I play it safe by asking the parent or from peers. I think books are worthy gifts too.:)

Karen said...

When you were christened, at three months old, my best friend gave me two books for you, Charlottes Web and The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. I thought it an odd gift for a three-month-old. However, you loved to read so it worked out!
(from your Mom)